I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Creole Collards Soup

6 ounces unsalted butter
8 ounces all purpose flour
1 cup onion, small dice
1/2 cup Poblano pepper, small dice
1/2 cup celery, small dice
1/2 cup Andouille sausage, or Bradley's, small dice
1 large Jalapeno, minced
3 quarts collards or kale, chopped 1"
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 quarts chicken stock
1 Bay leaf
2 tsp. fresh Thyme
Crystal Hot Sauce, to taste
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Make a red roux--in a 6 quart stock pot, melt the butter over medium heat until bubbling.  Whisk in the four to combine.  Cook the roux mixture, stirring frequently, until it becomes brownish red, like a penny, 15-20 minutes.  DO NOT let the flour burn.  If you see black specks, start over.

To the red roux add the onion, peppers, celery and sausage.  Coat with the roux and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add the collards and garlic and stir well.  Cook another 3 to 5 minutes until the collards are wilted.  In small batches, add the stock to the mixture, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.  The mixture will be thick at first but will begin to thin out with each addition of stock.  Add bay leaf and thyme.  Let the soup simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.  Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce.  Thin out with more stock if it gets too thick. 

From Cypress Restaurant

No comments:

Post a Comment