I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Greek Salad

1/2 lb. deli potato salad (or make your own)
6 to 8 cups mixed salad greens, washed and dried
1 small cucumber, peeled, cut in half crosswise, and then in long wedges
1/4 red bell pepper, cut in strips
1/4 yellow bell pepper, cut in strips
   (Or use green, 1/2 pepper in all)
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small jar marinated artichoke hearts, reserve marinade
12 Greek peppers
12 Greek kalamata olives
1 to 2 Tbsp. capers
2 oz. feta cheese, rinsed in water, then cubed or crumbled
6 anchovy fillets (optional)
Mixed herbs (fresh or dried) - oregano, basil, parsley are good
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
Salt and pepper

On a large plate or platter, or in a large pasta bowl (or on individual salad plates), place potato salad in center.  Spread the salad greens in a mound over the potato salad.  Arrange the cucumbers, peppers, and tomatoes around the mound, pointing  the peppers and cucumbers up toward top of the mound.  Add the artichokes, olives, capers, and cheese in an attractive arrangement.  To the artichoke marinade add the remaining ingredients except herbs (or just use a little more oil and vinegar if you don't want to use the artichoke liquid).  Shake well to mix and add a  little of the herbs.  Just before serving, pour over salad and sprinkle rest of herbs on top.  Serve at once.

When I moved to Tallahassee, most of the restaurants in town were owned by Greek families from the island of Patmos.  I soon learned to love Greek salad.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment