I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Sunday, January 24, 2016

Candied Citrus Peel

3 cups citrus peel from: 
    4 to 5 medium oranges, or
    6 medium lemons, or
    2 medium to large grapefruit, or
    8 to 9 large tangerines
12 cups cold water
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 3/4 cups boiling water

Wash fruit.  Score peel into quarters.  Remove sections of peel with fingers; scrape white pith from peel and cut into uniform strips about 1/2 inch wide.  Boil peel with 6 cups cold water, uncovered, for 10 minutes; drain and rinse.  Repeat process with 6 cups fresh water.  (Note: Omit second boiling for tangerine peel.)  In a large saucepan combine 1 1/2 cups sugar, honey, and boiling water; boil 1 minute.  Add cooked, drained peel and briskly simmer until almost all of syrup has been absorbed, about 30 to 40 minutes.  Stir frequently to avoid sticking.  Transfer peel to colander; drain well, about 10 minutes.  Toss drained peel with remaining 1 cup sugar to coat well.  Spread on waxed paper to dry.  Store in tightly covered container.  Makes 1 pound.

No comments:

Post a Comment