I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Thursday, January 14, 2016

Beer Batter for Frying

Pour a 12 oz. can of any cold beer in a bowl.  Sift into beer 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 Tbsp. salt, and if you wish to color the batter, 1 Tbsp. paprika.  Stir with a wire whisk until light and frothy.  Allow foam to settle. Use immediately.  For thicker batter, add a little more flour until it is the desired consistency.  Delicious for frying eggplant chunks, mushrooms, green beans, onions or other vegetables, as in Tempura, also for shrimp, scallops or fish chunks.  Fry in oil at high temperature (350 to 375E).

Michael fries fish in a batter like this and it is delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment