I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Best Butter Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 Tbsp. orange juice
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking powder

Combine butter, sugar and egg in large mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Reduce speed to low; add flour, orange juice, vanilla and baking powder. Beat until well mixed. Divide dough into thirds; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm (2 to 3 hours). Heat oven to 400 degrees. On lightly floured surface roll out dough, one-third at a time, to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thickness, keeping remaining dough refrigerated.   Cut with 3-inch cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 6 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool completely. Frost and decorate. Makes 3 dozen. 

ROYAL ICING

1 lb. box confectioner's sugar
5 Tbsp. Meringue powder, or 2 large egg whites

In the bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine sugar and meringue powder. Mixing on low speed, add scant ½ cup water. For a thinner consistency, usually used for flooding, add more water. A thicker consistency is generally used for outlining and adding details. Mix until icing holds a ribbon-like trail on the surface of the mixture for 5 seconds when you raise the paddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment