I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Cherry Pie

2 (16 oz.) cans sour pie cherries
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup cherry liquid
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. butter
1/4 tsp. almond extract

Drain cherries, reserving liquid. Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in saucepan. Gradually add cherry liquid and lemon juice. Blend until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and clear. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, almond extract and cherries. Pour into pastry lined pan. Place top crust or lattice over filling. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, then at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.

A recipe from my cousin Glenda Dietrich.  I like to make this pie because it doesn't use canned cherry pie filling which seems to have less and less cherries in the cans as years go by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment