I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Monday, January 4, 2016

Chicken Enchiladas

Mix together about 3 to 4 cups shredded chicken (baked, broiled or rotisserie)
1 small can Rotel tomatoes, drained & chopped fine
1 small onion, chopped fine and sautéed

Combine 2 1/2 cups half-and-half with
2 packets Goya chicken boullion powder
Heat 1 1/2 min. in microwave

12 +/- (6") corn tortillas (I like La Banderita)
Cooking oil
8 oz. Mexican mix shredded cheese (2 cups)
Salsa Verde (Green salsa)

Fry each tortilla lightly in hot oil on each side. Do not fry until crisp. Using tongs remove tortilla from oil and dip into cream mixture, place in casserole dish and fill with some of chicken mixture, roll & place seam side down. When pan is as full as you want (about 12 enchiladas), pour cream mixture over and top with cheese. Bake in 350 oven for about half an hour or until liquid is absorbed and cheese is golden and crusty. Serve with Salsa Verde (green salsa) which is available in the ethnic foods section of the grocery store, or you can make fresh Salsa Verde.

My cousin, Julie Dietrich, and her fiancé (now husband), Carlos Valle, fled a hurricane approaching South Florida several years ago. They stayed with me for a few days and Julie made these delicious Enchiladas, which I have been addicted to ever since. Julie first fried the tortillas briefly in oil, but I have eliminated that step without ruining the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment