I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Friday, January 15, 2016

City Chicken

1 lb. veal
1 lb. lean pork
Flour, salt, pepper
1 egg
2 Tbsp. water
Bread crumbs
1/4 cup oil or shortening
1 Tbsp. grated onion

Cut meat into 1 to 1 1/2 inch chunks.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Arrange alternately on 6 to 8  skewers.  Press the pieces close together in the shape of a drumstick.  Roll the skewered meat in seasoned flour.  Beat egg and water together.  Roll the sticks in the diluted egg then dip in bread crumbs.  Melt shortening in skillet, add onion.  Brown the meat well in skillet.  Cover and cook over medium high heat until meat is tender.  Or cover and place in oven at 325 degrees until meat is tender.  Remove meat from pan and place pan on stove.  Add 1 cup water or broth mixed with 2 Tbsp. flour.  Cook until thick, scraping up and stirring in all brown bits.  Serve gravy with meat. 

NOTE FROM MARY GLOWIAK:  My way is to put the browned meat on a rack in a roaster.  Add a little water (1/4 to 1/2 cup, depending on how much meat you are working with).  Add some celery leaves and sliced onions on top of the meat.  Bake at 325 degrees until tender.  

This is a recipe cooked by Donald’s mother for her family when they were growing up.  Donald's sister, Eileen, remembers having this many times for Sunday dinner.  The note from Aunt Mary was on the bottom of Grandma's recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment