I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Monday, January 11, 2016

Clam or Oyster Chowder

2 to 3 cups diced raw potatoes
6 slices bacon
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
5 Tbsp. flour
2 (6 1/2  oz.) cans chopped clams (or 1 pint oysters)
4 cups hot milk (or part Half n Half)
3 Tbsp. butter
Salt and pepper, cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp. chopped parsley

Cook potatoes in salted water to cover until just tender.  Drain, reserving potato liquid.  Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces and fry in soup pot until crisp.  Remove from pan and pour off all grease except 2 Tbsp.  Add onion and celery and sauté slowly for 5 min. or until transparent.  Stir in flour, cook until well blended.  Drain clams or oysters, reserving juice.  Add potato (or plain) water to juice to make 3 cups liquid.  Add liquid to pan and simmer until mixture thickens.   Add potatoes, bacon, oysters or clams, butter, milk, and Half n Half (and a small dash of cayenne pepper) and heat thoroughly.  Do not boil.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Sprinkle with parsley.  Serve with oyster crackers.

Kenny makes this with oysters.  Usually he shucks the oysters himself.  His whole chowder-making process is a wonderful production performed with care and love.  As anyone who has eaten Kennys oyster chowder will tell you, it will warm you up on even the coldest day--it may even warm your heart.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment