I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Coconut Chocolate Almond Cheese Cake

1 1/2 cups Nabisco chocolate wafer cookie crumbs (28 to 30 cookies)
3 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
4 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 (14-ounce) package flaked coconut
1 (11.5 ounce) package milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup slivered almonds (toasted)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Garnish if desired: additional toasted chopped almonds

Stir together cookie crumbs, 3 Tbsp. sugar, and butter or margarine; press mixture into bottom of a 10-inch spring form pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.  Cool.

Beat cream cheese, eggs, and 1 cup sugar at medium speed with electric mixer until fluffy.  Stir in coconut, milk chocolate chips, almonds, and vanilla.  Pour into pan over cooled crust.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.  Cool on wire rack.  Place semisweet chocolate chips in zip-top plastic bag; seal.  Submerge bag in warm water until chocolate melts.  Snip a tiny hole in one corner of bag; drizzle chocolate over cheesecake. Garnish, if desired by sprinkling additional toasted almond slivers around top edge of cake. Cover and chill 8 hours or up to 5 days. 

I had never had much luck with cheesecake until I tried this recipe from Southern Living.  It turned out great and tastes fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment