I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Coconut Cream Pie

2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3 eggs
3 cups milk
1 Tbsp. butter
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cups sweetened coconut flakes
1 baked 9-inch pie crust, cooled
Whipped topping and toasted coconut

Stir together sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt in medium saucepan; add eggs, stirring until mixture is well blended. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with whisk, until mixture boils; boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Stir in coconut until blended. Pour into baked pie crust. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface. Refrigerate 5 to 8 hours, or until set. Just before serving, spread with whipped topping; sprinkle with toasted coconut. 8 servings. 

TO TOAST COCONUT: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spread coconut in thin layer in shallow baking pan. Bake 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light golden brown. Cool. 

TO TINT COCONUT: Combine 1/2 tsp. water and a few drops of food coloring in a zip lock bag. Add 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes. Close and shake bag until coconut is evenly coated. Store in refrigerator.

My Dad's favorite pie was Coconut Cream Pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment