I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Coleslaw

4 cups finely shredded cabbage (about 1/2 cabbage)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup honey
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix dressing and fold into cabbage.  This is good with just cabbage or add any combination of the following:  1 onion, diced or shredded; 1 carrot, chopped, sliced,  or grated; 1 green pepper, chopped; 1 red apple, unpeeled, cubed

This slaw is a favorite of our family.  I always try to shred the cabbage very  fine as it reminds me of my grandmother, Bertha Martin.  My mother remembered Grandma shredding cabbage into the thinnest, most delicate slivers.  Grandpa must have kept her knife honed real sharp.  Mother said she always tried but she could never cut cabbage that fine. 

Or

Serves 6
Ingredients
Creamy Coleslaw Dressing
1 cup (8 ounces) mayonnaise
3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1⁄ 4 teaspoon dry mustard 1⁄ 4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper Dash of Kosher salt
Quick and Easy Coleslaw
1 small head of green cabbage (1 1⁄ 2 to 2 pounds) shredded
2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
2 stalks of celery, shredded
1 medium onion, peeled and shredded Coleslaw dressing from above Directions
Creamy Coleslaw Dressing
Combine mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, dry mustard, pepper, and salt in a 2-cup measuring cup or small bowl. Whisk well to blend. Set aside.

Quick and Easy Coleslaw

Using the medium shredding disk, shred the cabbage, carrots, celery, and onion in a food processor. Transfer to a large bowl. Pour coleslaw dressing over vegetables; toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate. Yield: 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment