I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Corn Tortillas

2 cups corn flour (Masa)
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. lard
1 ½ cups water

Combine masa, salt and lard. Mix well. Stir in water. The dough should be slightly wet. Form into a smooth ball. Divide dough into 12 pieces. Place a little water on hands and form dough into small balls. Place balls on a piece of parchment paper (12 x 8 ½). Using your hands, flatten the dough and form into a flat circle. Place a piece of plastic wrap over the circle. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a 6 ½ to 7 inch circle 1/8 inch thick. Or place a piece of plastic wrap over the bottom half of a tortilla press. Place the ball of dough on the plastic wrap and cover with another piece of plastic wrap. Press tortilla flat with press. Remove the top piece of plastic wrap. In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, turn the tortilla onto the pan, and remove the other piece of plastic wrap. Brown the tortillas 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Remove and place between two sheets of parchment paper. Serve warm.

Donald and I went to Mexico City in the 80's with a small group of people from our diocese, including the Bishop, for the annual feast of our Lady of Guadalupe, patron saint of the Americas. This is a big annual celebration in Mexico in December of each year. It was a great experience. One thing we liked was the freshly made tortillas at the Holiday Inn where we stayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment