I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Monday, January 4, 2016

Eggplant Parmigiana

1 spray cooking spray
1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs, Italian-style
1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 medium eggplant
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1 cup canned tomato sauce or low calorie spaghetti sauce
½ cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside. Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic powder together in a plate or flat pan. Slice eggplant into ½ inch thick slices. Dip eggplant first into egg whites and then into bread crumb mixture. Bake eggplant on a nonstick cookie sheet until lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Place a layer of eggplant on bottom of prepared baking dish, then add 1/3 of tomato sauce and 1/3 of mozzarella cheese. Repeat with 2 more layers in same order. Bake until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling, about 10 minutes more. Slice into 4 pieces and serve. Makes 4 servings, 3 W.W. points per serving. Serve with ½ cup cooked spaghetti and additional sauce for 2 more W.W. points.

No comments:

Post a Comment