I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Thursday, January 14, 2016

Fried or Sauteed Fish

1 part fine cracker crumbs or packaged cracker meal
1 part white stone ground corn meal
1 part flour
Fish fillets or chunks

Stir dry ingredients together.  Can be stored in refrigerator to use when you need it.  Sprinkle fish with Cavendars, Cajun seasoning, or whatever you like in the way of seasoning.  Michael uses salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  He rubs the fish generously with Crystal hot sauce before covering with breading mix. 
 
Put some of the breading mixture in a cake pan or in a ziplock bag.  Roll or shake fish in breading mixture. 
 
For sauted fillets, heat butter and/or olive oil on griddle or in iron frying pan on medium high heat.  Griddle or pan should be hot before the oil is added.  Sauté the fish on each side until golden and crusty. 
 
For deep frying, heat oil and add breaded fish chunks or fillets. Fry until crisp and golden.  Drain on absorbent paper or in a brown grocery bag (with the top open).  Discard remainder of used breading.
 
We have eaten a lot of fish cooked like this.  Fillets should not be too thick for sautèing.  The breading mixture can also be used for fried oysters.  Dip oysters in egg beaten with a little milk, then breading mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment