I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Grandma Martin's Date Filled Cookies

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarine
1 egg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cream or milk
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. baking powder
3 1/2 cups flour or less according to mixture

Filling:

1 1/2 cup chopped dates
1 Tbsp. flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Mix and cook filling until thick and then cool.  Mix cookies in order given.  Chill.  Roll out thin and cut in rounds, about 3 inches in diameter.  Place dates by spoonful on cookie round and cover with another cookie round.  Seal edges with fork.  Sprinkle with sugar and bake until lightly browned.
 
My cousins and I used to love these cookies made by my Grandma when I was a little girl.  We'd eat all around the outside edge, and then eat the part with the filling last. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment