I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Sunday, January 24, 2016

Grandma's Apple Dumplings

2 cups flour
1/4 cup water
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup shortening
6 to 8 small tart apples
Brown sugar
Cinnamon
Butter

Mix a cup of flour with the water to form a smooth paste.  Add remaining flour, salt, and shortening to form dough.  Divide into 6 to 8 portions.  Pare and core apples.  Roll out one portion of dough into a small circle.  Place apple in center.  Fill with brown sugar, a dash of cinnamon, and a dot of butter.  Allow enough dough to fold over apple and completely cover it.  Continue with rest of apples.  Place dough-covered apples in a large casserole and chill.  (Can be made ahead.)

Syrup: 

1 cup sugar
2 cups water
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 Tbsp. butter

Combine and boil for 3 minutes.  Pour over chilled dumplings.  Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees.  Reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake 30 minutes longer.  Spoon syrup over dumplings occasionally while baking.  Makes 6 to 8 servings.

I got this great recipe from Donald's cousin Beverly Craig.  I asked Beverly who the "Grandma" was in the title, and she said it was no one in particular.  So you can attribute it to any Grandma you wish.  Donald and Beverly's grandmother Anna Wozniak Piotrowski died at age 32 when Don's dad was 15 months old and Beverly's mom was not quite three, so we have no recipes from that side of the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment