I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Thursday, January 14, 2016

Green Beans with Almonds

4 Tbsp. (1/2 stick) butter
1/2 cup slivered almonds
4 cups fresh young tender snap beans
1 Tbsp. dry vermouth
1/2 tsp. finely crumbled dried rosemary (or 1 tsp. fresh)
Salt, pepper

Clean beans and leave whole, cutting off stem end and tail.  Cook in water or broth to cover until just tender.  Drain and dry a little by shaking in pan over heat.  In the meantime, sauté almonds in butter until golden.  Add beans to almonds in skillet, season with salt, pepper, and rosemary.  Sprinkle with vermouth, stir gently and serve at once. 

We found this recipe when our garden produced all the small tender beans we could eat.  It works well with fresh green beans from the store as long as they are picked before they are old and tough.  This is one of our family's favorites at holiday meals.  My very small garden at the lake still included tiny French filet beans for this recipe and Salad Niçoise.

No comments:

Post a Comment