I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Saturday, January 2, 2016

Ham and Potato Soup

3 ½ cups peeled and diced potatoes
1/3 cup diced celery
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cup diced cooked ham
3 1/4 cups water
2 Tbsp. chicken bouillon granules
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground white or black pepper
5 Tbsp. butter
5 Tbsp. flour
2 cups milk

Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in pot. Bring to a boil, and cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper. In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour, and cook, stirring constantly until well incorporated, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk, and continue stirring over medium-low heat until thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through.

Potato soup is so easy and so satisfying. It is something good to fix for someone who is ailing. An old friend, Frances Lares, used to fix potato soup for me any time I was under the weather. 

No comments:

Post a Comment