I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Saturday, January 16, 2016

Macaroni and Cheese

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1/4 cup corn starch or 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped onion (opt.)
5 1/2 cups milk
4 cups grated Cheddar cheese
1 lb. small elbow macaroni or penne, cooked 6 minutes and drained
1 1/2 cups cubed ham or 2 cups lightly steamed broccoli (optional)
1 cup fresh bread crumbs

In large saucepan melt butter over low heat.  Stir in cornstarch or flour and seasonings. Gradually stir in milk until smooth.  Stirring constantly, bring to boil over medium heat.  Boil 1 minute.  Remove from heat.  Stir in 2 cups of the cheese until melted.  Turn macaroni into 9 x 12 cake pan or casserole.  Mix 1 cup cheese with the macaroni.  Add ham or broccoli (optional).   Mix in the cheese sauce.  Mix remaining 1 cup cheese and bread crumbs.  Sprinkle over top of casserole.  Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until topping is lightly browned.  Makes 12 servings.

Grandchildren may say "But Grandma, I like the other kind of macaroni and cheese, the kind that comes out of a box." Macaroni and Cheese always reminds me of Michael who hates it.  When urged to try a bite as a child, he always managed to gag very convincingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment