I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Friday, January 8, 2016

Penne with Roasted Tomatoes

1 pint grape tomatoes
4 cloves garlic
3 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp. salt
freshly ground black pepper
Dried red pepper flakes to taste
1/2 pound penne pasta (or similar), cooked according to package directions
Fresh basil leaves, torn or cut in ribbons
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmeson cheese
1 (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans (optional)

Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise.  Slice or mince the garlic.  Line a baking pan with foil.  Add tomatoes and garlic and toss with olive oil, vinegar, red pepper flakes,  salt and pepper.  The tomatoes should completely cover the bottom of the pan in one layer.  If there is too much space between them, they will dry out when roasted and no juices will be retained.  Roast at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes until the tomatoes release their juice and begin to shrivel.  Cook the pasta.  If using the beans, place them in a pan and drain the pasta into the beans, warming the beans with the hot water.  Drain the beans and put pasta and beans in a warm bowl.  Pour the tomato mixture over the pasta and beans.  Add a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar if the mixture seems too dry and additional salt and pepper to taste. Top with basil and Parmesan cheese.

When JP and I were in Rome I had a dish similar to this that was deceptively simple but tasted so good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment