I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Pesto

1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp. pine nuts or walnuts (toasted, optional)
1 ti 2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves (dried basil won't work)
2 large cloves garlic
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 to 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in skillet over medium low heat.  Add pine nuts and sauté,  stirring and shaking pan constantly, until nuts are light brown (30 to 45 seconds).  Transfer to paper towel to drain.  Rinse, drain, and stem basil leaves.  Combine pine nuts, basil leaves, garlic, salt, and remaining olive oil in food processor or blender.  Process until finely chopped.  Transfer to small bowl and stir in cheese.  Refrigerate, covered with a thin layer of olive oil or in a zip lock bag with the air pressed out, up to one week, or freeze for several months.  Bring to room temperature before serving.  Toss with 1/2 to 1 lb. hot fettuccine or linguini.  Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.  Try adding to salad dressings, soups, or mix with butter for steamed vegetables.

Carolyn grows the best basil on her back deck in Alabama.   No matter what I do, mine is not as lush as hers.  Basil is easy to grow in pots or in the ground.  The more you pinch off the top of the plant, the bushier it gets.  By late September if you havent had enough pesto, you never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment