I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Sunday, January 17, 2016

Polish Sweet Bread

2 packages yeast
4 Tbsp. lukewarm water
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 lb. (1 cup) shortening, lard or butter
1 qt. scalded milk
1 1/2  cups sugar
8 egg yolks, beaten until thick and lemon colored
2 tsp. salt
Juice and grated rind of 1 orange
12 cups flour (unsifted, all purpose)
2 cups white raisins (optional)
4 Tbsp. softened butter
8 Tbsp. sugar
12 Tbsp. flour

Sprinkle yeast in lukewarm water; add sugar.  Let stand until bubbly.  Add shortening, sugar, and salt to scalded milk.  Stir in egg yolks, orange juice, and rind.  When the milk cools to lukewarm add the yeast and flour and mix well.  Knead dough until none sticks to hands.  Knead in raisins.  Let rise in warm place until double.  For topping, mix 4 Tbsp. butter, 8 Tbsp. sugar, and 12 Tbsp. flour together until crumbly.  Divide dough into 5 parts.  Grease 5 loaf pans.  Form each piece of dough into a loaf and put in pan.  Brush each loaf with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with 1/5 of topping.  Let rise 1 hour.  Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.

This is another recipe from Donadl's mother, Victoria Piotrowski. Use the leftover egg whites to make Meringues, Forgotten Cookies, or Pavlova.

No comments:

Post a Comment