I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Monday, January 25, 2016

Pomander Balls

1 thin-skinned orange
1 or 2 boxes whole cloves
3 tsp. cinnamon
3 tsp. powdered arrowroot or acacia
1 sheet of Saran Wrap about 18" square
Ribbon for a bow

Wash orange and dry.  Start at the stem end and add row after row of whole cloves, putting them as close together as you can until the orange is completely covered.  Then roll in cinnamon and arrowroot or acacia that have been mixed together.  Wrap in Saran wrap and let stand 2 weeks.  Dust off the powder and tie up with ribbons as a package.  Leave a loop for hanging.  These are hung in clothes or linen closets.  They are tedious but fun to make and will last for years.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment