I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Friday, January 15, 2016

Prime Rib Roast

A prime rib roast is the most flavorful and most expensive roast of beef.  Always buy the roast from the small end of the rib; that is, the twelfth rib up toward the seventh rib.  The very best are the first three ribs of the short end, the twelfth to the tenth ribs.

A trimmed 2 rib roast will weigh approx. 5 to 7 lbs. and serve 4 people.  For 6 to 7 people, you need a 3 rib roast of 6 to 8 lbs.

You can have the roast boned and rolled in order to make the carving easier, but standing rib is the best.

To cook a standing rib roast, place in open roasting pan, fat side up.  Sprinkle salt and pepper over the fat.  Fill the bottom of the pan with 2 cups vegetables, a crumbled bay leaf, and a glass of water.  (Vegetables:  2 carrots, 2 celery stalks with leaves, 1 onion, 1 tomato, all cut up coarsely and sprinkled with 1/2 tsp. thyme)

 Cook roast in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes per pound for rare, 18 minutes for med.  A meat thermometer should read 125 degrees for rare, 140 degrees for medium.  Baste with fat in pan every half hour.

Vegetables should be caramelized.  If they start to burn, add a little more water.  Keep roast warm while you put vegetables and pan juices through strainer.  Pour off fat and serve juice as gravy.   Or add 2 cups beef stock to vegetables and mash them into the liquid.  Serve as gravy.
 
Let roast rest 20 to 30 minutes before carving.  To carve a prime rib, place the roast so that the ribs are resting on the cutting board.  Hold the knife perpendicular to the board.  Slice from either end.  You will get two slices without a rib bone and then a third slice with a bone.

I'm not much of a beef eater, but Donald loved prime rib.  I saved this recipe thinking I would cook one for him one day.  I never did.  Guess I will have to cook it for his children.

No comments:

Post a Comment