I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Pumpkin Bars

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 eggs (or 1 cup Eggbeaters)
1 (16-oz.) can pumpkin
1 2/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
   (or increase oil to 1 cup and omit the apple sauce)
1 1/2  cups chopped pecans (divided)

Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, soda, and salt.  Beat together eggs, pumpkin, sugar, oil, and apple sauce.  Add flour mixture; beat well.   Stir in 1 cup pecans.  Spread in 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking pan (sheet pan) sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool on wire rack.  Frost with Cream Cheese Icing.  Sprinkle with remainder of pecans.  Cut into squares.  Makes 24 squares.

Cream Cheese Icing:

1 (3 oz.) package cream cheese (softened)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups sifted powdered sugar

In a bowl beat together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until fluffy.  Gradually add sifted powdered sugar, beating until smooth.  Spread on cake.

This cake freezes well (add icing after thawing).  It tastes great and is also good for you (don't tell anyone).

No comments:

Post a Comment