I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Thursday, January 21, 2016

Red Velvet Cakie

1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
1/2 oz. red food coloring
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vinegar
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. vanilla

Cream shortening, sugar, and eggs.  Make a paste of cocoa and part of coloring.  Add this and rest of coloring to creamed mixture.  Mix flour and salt and add to batter alternately with buttermilk.  Add vinegar, stir in soda and vanilla.  Mix well.  Bake in two 8 inch cake pans 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  Cool. Split each layer into two layers.  Frost between layers, but do not frost top or sides.  More food coloring may be added if richer coloring is desired.  KEEP REFRIGERATED.  This cake is a specialty at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York.

Red Velvet Frosting:

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
3 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. vanilla

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.  Cook milk and flour until thickened.  Cool.  Add milk mixture to sugar and butter mixture, beating constantly.  Add vanilla.

This is Grandma Piotrowski's recipe which we got from Donald's sister, Eileen Seglem.  Joel liked this cake so well he included it in the recipes he had to prepare for Home Ec when he was a freshman in high school.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment