I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Monday, January 4, 2016

Roasted Veggie Subs

3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. olive oil
1/4 cup minced fresh basil
1 small eggplant, peeled and sliced lengthwise
1 sliced sweet red pepper
1 small red onion sliced
1 small zucchini, sliced or 1 chayote thinly sliced
1 Portobello mushroom
4 French rolls or sub rolls, or Ciabatta 
4 oz. Havarti or Lacy Swiss cheese

Basil Yogurt Spread:

1/4 cup fat free plain yogurt
2 Tbsp. reduced fat mayo
1 Tbsp. fresh basil
1 tsp. lemon juice

Or substitute Pesto alone or mixed with Mayo

Mix vinegar, oil and 1/4 cup basil. Coat veggies with oil mixture and roast on baking sheet at 450 degrees until tender. Mix Basil Yogurt spread ingredients or pesto and mayonnaise and spread on split rolls. Layer vegetables on rolls. If using cheese, add with vegetables, then wrap sandwiches in foil and place in 450 oven for 10 minutes until cheese is melted and rolls are warm, or in the alternative press and toast on Panini or Foreman grill.  

No comments:

Post a Comment