I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Rosettes

2 eggs, slightly beaten  
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt      
1 tsp. flavoring (vanilla or almond)
1 cup flour (measure, then sift)    
1 cup milk
Oil for frying

Add salt, sugar, and flavoring to eggs.  Mix to blend.  Add 1/2 cup milk and all of the flour, then remaining 1/2 cup milk, stirring.  Mix well.  Do not beat.  If foamy, set aside.  Refrigerate if not used right away.  Place oil (peanut oil is best for frying) in fryer and heat to 385 degrees, keeping hot during entire procedure. (A wok works well.) Put rosette iron in oil to heat.  Shake excess oil off iron and touch iron on paper toweling to absorb oil.  Dip hot iron into batter almost to top--not over top of iron.  Place battered iron in hot oil.  When rosette holds its shape remove the iron and allow the rosette to brown, then turn over with fork to brown other side.  This only takes a minute or so.  Remove from oil and drain on absorbent paper such as brown paper bags.  Sift powdered sugar over rosettes when they are cool.  Irons should be washed with warm soapy water, never scrubbed.  They are seasoned just like an iron frying pan and a scrubbed rosette iron will stick.

I loved Rosettes when I was a little girl living in a community in North Dakota where there were a lot of Swedes and Norwegians who made these beautiful, crispy, melt-in-your mouth cookies.  We had a neighbor, my Uncle Mel's sister, Leona Jacobson, who always had a supply in a tin box, probably fried in lard. I would get to have one when we went to visit, and then I would embarrass my mother by asking for another.

No comments:

Post a Comment