I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Thursday, January 14, 2016

Scalloped Potatoes

2 lbs. potatoes (about 6 medium potatoes)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
3 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup Swiss cheese (optional)

Peel and thinly slice potatoes.  In greased 2-quart casserole, arrange potatoes in four layers, sprinkling each of first three layers with 1 tablespoon onion, 1 tablespoon flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a dash of pepper.  Dot each layer with 1 tablespoon butter.  Sprinkle remaining onion, salt and pepper, and butter on top.  Heat milk just to scalding and pour over the potatoes.  Cover and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  Uncover and bake 60 to 70 minutes longer until potatoes are tender.  Let sit 5 to 10 minutes before serving to let liquid soak into potatoes.  You can sprinkle top of casserole with Swiss or other cheese during last 5 to 10 minutes of baking if you wish.

Variation: To make the potatoes creamier, use same ingredients, but melt 3 Tbsp. butter in a pan.  Stir in flour until well mixed.  Add salt, pepper, and onion.  Stir in milk and bring to a boil.  Boil one minute.  Pour one-fourth of sauce over each of four layers of potatoes as you assemble the casserole.  Dot top with the final tablespoon of butter.  Bake as above.

This is a recipe I have made (and eaten) many times.  It used to be a standard in both the North and the South.  It is easy to see why. Scalloped potatoes can’t be beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment