I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Thursday, January 14, 2016

Shrimp Jambalaya

1 lb. headless shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 Tbsp. oil or butter, or a combination
1 cup diced ham or sliced sausage or crab meat
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (16 oz.) can tomatoes, chopped (reserve liquid)
1 cup uncooked rice
3 bay leaves
Tomato liquid plus water to make 2 1/2 cups
Crushed red pepper or cayenne to taste
Couple dashes Tabasco

Sauté onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic in butter or oil.  Add ham or sausage.  Fry about 5 minutes.  If desired you can precook the sausage in the microwave and drain on paper towels.  Stir in tomatoes and cook 10 minutes.  Add rice, liquid and seasonings.  Bring to boil, cover and cook 10 minutes.  Add shrimp and cook until rice is done and shrimp is pink.  If using crab, add for the last five minutes, do not stir.  Stir carefully just before serving. Mixture should be quite moist, even a little soupy; the rice should be just cooked, not gummy.   Serves 4.

This basic recipe can be altered in many ways by using whatever you have on hand.  Instead of ham, sausage or crab, try using 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced.  Sauté until tender in the butter or oil, and then add other vegetables. You may need to add a little more oil.  Proceed as above.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment