I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Sunday, January 10, 2016

Shrimp Mold

2 cans shrimp
2 cans minced clams
2 envelopes gelatin
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup minced onion
1 cup celery, chopped fine
1 tsp. lemon juice
Tabasco sauce, salt, and pepper to taste

Drain and mash shrimp.  Drain clams, reserving juice.  Soak gelatin in clam juice.  Cream mayonnaise and cream cheese in sauce pan until smooth.  Add gelatin and clam juice and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and add shrimp, clams, onions, celery, lemon juice, and seasonings.  Pour into lightly oiled mold and chill until firm.  Makes a lot.  Serve with crackers.

This is a delicious and delicate spread from my friend Ruth Cox.  It looks great as a fish or shrimp mold.  Ruth won the Jackson County Floridian recipe contest with this recipe in 1995, but the "Legal Biddies" had already enjoyed it many times over the years.  The Legal Biddies were named by my boss, Dexter Douglass.  We are a group of friends who developed a special bond when we studied for and took the PLS exam (Professional Legal Secretary) in the 70s.  The Biddies include Lou Michaels, Ruth Cox, Sarah Baldwin, Joann Slay, Roberta Powell, and me.  Also included are Iris Ahl and Rose Marie Worley.  For many years those who still live in Tallahassee have met every Thursday for lunch. We also get together in each others’ homes several times a year.  Lively conversation is our favorite activity.  We never run out of things to talk about.  We can be completely ourselves, and expressing strong opinions is encouraged.  Over the years our friendship has matured into something precious to all of us, proving the old saying that the best friends are old friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment