I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Monday, January 25, 2016

Soap

Dissolve 2 Tbsp. borax in 1/2 glass of water.  Dissolve 2 Tbsp. ammonia in 1/2 glass of water.  Let stand until ready to use.  Use large crock or enamel pot.  Add 1 quart cold water.  Add 1 can lye slowly into water and keep stirring well.  Use wooden stick, add a 3-lb. can of Crisco, 1 can of water plus 1 cup of strained waste fats.  Then add the borax and ammonia solutions.  Stir 10 minutes until well dissolved.  Put into square enamel pan, stir few times while setting and let harden.  Cut into squares.

This recipe is from Grandma Victoria Piotrowski's recipe box.  My Mother, Merle Weisz, made soap like this when I was a child.  She used lard and tallow (beef fat) instead of Crisco.  I remember her using it to scrub grease out of my Dad's work clothes.  It probably got her hands real clean too as lye is a very caustic substance.

No comments:

Post a Comment