I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Sunday, January 24, 2016

Sour Cream Raisin Pie

Pastry for single crust pie
3/4 cup raisins (can include dried cranberries and/or cherries)
1 1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup sugar
eggs
Nutmeg

Soak raisins in warm water 10 to 15 minutes.  Drain and chop well.  Line pan with pastry and flute edges.  Put raisins in crust.  Mix remaining ingredients except nutmeg.  Pour over raisins.  Sprinkle with nutmeg.  Bake at 350 degrees about 30 minutes until custard is firm.

My Grandmother Martin made this pie for "Pie Day," a monthly event in Sutton, North Dakota, when I was a little girl.  The ladies would bring pies and fix sloppy joes in a small brick building that had been a bank when the town was larger.  People from town and the surrounding countryside would stop by to eat lunch.  A sloppy joe, a piece of pie, and a cup of coffee cost less than a dollar. This was one of my favorite pies.

No comments:

Post a Comment