I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Monday, January 4, 2016

Southern Macaroni & Cheese

1 lb. elbow macaroni
½ cup butter (1 stick)
8 oz. American or Cheddar cheese
6 large eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups whipping cream (or half-and-half, or fat free half-and-half)
1 cup milk
½ tsp. salt
Dash pepper
Paprika

Cook macaroni according to package directions until almost done; drain and return hot macaroni to sauce pan. Add butter and most of grated cheese. Save a small amount, about ½ cup, for topping. Mix macaroni, butter and cheese until cheese is melted. Place in buttered casserole dish. Combine eggs, cream, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over macaroni, separating macaroni with a fork so that liquids will go through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Top with paprika. Place casserole dish in a pan of hot water. Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned and set.

No comments:

Post a Comment