I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Saturday, January 2, 2016

Spicy Black Bean Soup

1 serving cooking spray (5 one-second sprays per
   serving)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 stalk celery, minced
3 (15 oz.) cans black beans, undrained
½ tsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste
½ to 1 tsp. ground cumin
1 (14 ½ oz.) can fat-free chicken or vegetable broth
1 (10 oz.) can tomatoes with green chillies, such as
   Rotel tomatoes (I like the milder Rotels)
1 (11 oz.) can yellow whole kernel corn, drained
Chopped cilantro or green onions for garnish (optional)

Coat bottom of a large pot with cooking spray. Add onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes. Place one or two cans of beans and broth in blender; add sauteed onion mixture, red pepper flakes and cumin. Cover and blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds. Pour mixture back into pot. Stir in remaining beans (do not puree first), tomatoes and green chilies, and corn. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Garnish with chopped cilantro and/or green onions. Makes about six 1 ½ cup servings, 3 W.W. points per serving. I like it served over cooked rice. (Add 2 W.W. points per ½ cup cooked rice.)

This is really good, particularly with rice. I could eat it every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment