I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Sunday, January 24, 2016

Strawberry Rhubarb Slump

1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
Dash of salt
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) chilled stick butter or margarine cut into small pieces
6 Tbsp. low or non-fat buttermilk
1/4 tsp. almond extract
3 cups sliced strawberries, hulled (about 2 pints)
3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. Port or other sweet red wine
1 Tbsp. sliced or slivered almonds
2 tsp. sugar

Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl.  Cut in margarine with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles course meal.  Add buttermilk and almond extract and toss with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened.  Set dough aside. 

Combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, and water in a 10-inch oven proof skillet; cover and cook over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Combine cornstarch and wine.  Add to fruit mixture.  Bring to a boil and cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly.  Drop the dough by heaping tablespoons onto the fruit mixture.  Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.   Don't peek.  Remove from heat and sprinkle with the almonds and 2 tsp. sugar.  Broil for 3 minutes or until golden.  Serves 8.
 
This is a delicious low-fat cobbler from "Cooking Light."  I have made it many times.  

No comments:

Post a Comment