I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Monday, January 4, 2016

Tuscan Beans with Rosemary

1 Tbsp. olive oil
3 oz. pancetta (Italian Bacon), or 3 slices bacon
½ lb. chicken Italian sausage
1 large red onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 sprigs fresh rosemary or 1 Tbsp. dried rosemary
1 sprig thyme, 1 sprig oregano (or 1 tsp. each dried)
1/4 cup whole parsley leaves
1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. cracked or coarsely ground pepper
1 (28-oz.) can tomatoes
2 (19-oz.) cans white kidney or cannellini beans

In a skillet over medium-high heat, add oil. Add pancetta; cook until it just begins to brown, or cook bacon until crisp. Transfer to a slow cooker. Add onion to skillet, reduce heat to medium and saute until softened. Add garlic, rosemary, parsley, salt and pepper. Saute for one minute. Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil, breaking up tomatoes. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring until liquid thickens. Meanwhile, add rinsed and drained beans to slow cooker. Pour tomato mixture over beans; stir well. Add just enough water to cover. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or high for 4 to 5 hours. Makes six servings, 5 W.W. points each. (4 if you omit sausage) Serve over one-half cup cooked pasta for 2 additional W.W. points.





No comments:

Post a Comment