I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Friday, January 1, 2016

Ukrainian Carrot Salad

1 lb. carrots, peeled (or 1 lb. pre-cut julienned carrots) 
2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
1 onion, diced
1 tsp. Asian chili oil (or to taste)
1 ½ tsp. honey
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. ground coriander or crushed coriander seeds
½ tsp. salt
1/4 cup white vinegar or rice vinegar
2 Tbsp. tasteless vegetable oil  (such as canola)

Sauté onion in one tablespoon oil until just translucent. Cut carrots into 3 to 4 inch lengths. With mandolin, cut carrots into julienne strips (or grate on large holes of grater, but this is not as good). Add remaining ingredients, and refrigerate 4 to 5 hours or overnight. 

This is a delicious salad or appetizer sold in markets throughout Russia.  A beet version is also delicious and the two displayed together are spectacular.  My sister Carolyn and I encountered them in the Ukraine where it was one of many appetizers served before dinner at the home where we stayed in Gleuckstal. It is Korean in origin, introduced in Russia by ethnic Koreans from the far eastern Soviet Union who were deported by Stalin to Russia's western frontiers. In Ukrainian markets, it is displayed in huge beautiful orange piles, along with purple piles of marinated julienned beets , cucumbers, and other intriguing prepared salads to buy and take home.

No comments:

Post a Comment