I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Thursday, July 9, 2020

Slow Cooker Fig Preserves

For each quart of halved, quartered or chopped figs use 
1 cup sugar
Zest and juice from 1/2 lemon 
1 tsp. grated fresh or candied ginger root
 
Clean and cut up figs.  Add remaining ingredients and macerate overnight in refrigerator to form juice. 
Next morning, add to slow cooker and cook on high for 5 to 6 hours until syrup is reduced.   It will thicken some when chilled. 

Two quarts figs makes about one quart preserves.  They can be refrigerated, frozen or processed in a boiling water bath. 

No comments:

Post a Comment