I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Friday, October 29, 2021

Roselle Calyxes in syrup

2 cups whole Roselle calyxes, seed capsule removed
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
 
Heat the sugar and water until sugar is completely dissolved.  Add washed calyxes, bring to a boil, and then reduce to simmer.  Continue cooking until liquid is reduced by one-third.  Cool.  Strain if you wish just syrup or leave whole calyxes in the syrup to use in cocktails and desserts.  The syrup will remain fresh in the refrigerator for up to a year. 

A calyx and a little syrup in the bottom of a glass of white wine is special.  

No comments:

Post a Comment