I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Saturday, February 5, 2022

Country Spareribs, Sauerkraut and Knoepfla

Brown boneless country style spareribs in oil.  Add:

1 chopped onion
Salt & pepper then add 
1 box (4 cups) reg chicken broth
1 box unsalted chicken broth.  

Bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 1/2 -2 hrs.  Add: 

1 or 2 jars sauerkraut ( depending on how much you prefer). 

Simmer together.  Put large pot of salted water on to boil while you make the Knoepfla.

2 cups flour
2 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder (optional)
1 tsp salt.  
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Add milk to consistency of noodle dough. (Can double or triple the recipe!)  

Knead until elastic.  Roll into ropes about 1” in diameter.  With kitchen shears, cut off small pieces of dough into boiling water and cook for 10 min.  Put cooked knoepfla into pot with ribs and sauerkraut and simmer for 1 hour (Retain boiled water in case you need to add liquid to ribs and all the knoepfla). Serve with mashed potatoes. 

Knoepfla are sort of like German Gnocchi or free form noodles.  They are much loved by Germans from Russia like my Dad’s family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment