I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Saturday, August 20, 2022

Paradise Pear Marmalade

Paradise Pear Marmalade
 
Originally from Southern Living
 
About 2 lb. pears, peeled, cored, ground or shredded (Hard or cooking pears, e.g., sand or pineapple pears, work well.  Peeling not necessary if using thin skinned pears like Anjou)
1 medium orange, seeded and ground (with peel; juice orange preferred, or something similar with less white pith; not navel)
1 medium lemon, seeded and ground (with peel)
1 can crushed pineapple (8 oz can. In juice or light syrup)
¼ cup maraschino cherries, chopped (can be omitted)
1 pack fruit pectin (e.g., Sure Jell, 1 ¾ oz)
5 cups granulated sugar
 
Total of raw fruit should be about 6 cups. Combine fruit and pectin. Add ½ tsp butter to reduce foaming. Bring to a full boil and boil l minute. Add sugar, return to a full boil, boil 1 minute more. Do not overboil. Skim foam as needed. Ladle into prepared sterile, hot jelly jars, use 2 part lids, and process in water bath 10 minutes. Refrigerate any jars that don’t seal, as usual 

From my friend Becky Lyons, who got it originally from Southern Living.  I’m always looking for good recipes to use the fruits I grow in my yard. There was a big pear tree there when I moved to Harriet Drive. Occasionally I will get do use some of the pears when the raccoons and squirrels leave me a few. 

No comments:

Post a Comment