I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Cheese Straws

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature

2 cups (8 ounces) shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese at room temperature

1 Tablespoon baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 cups (10 ounces) all-purpose flour

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°F.

With an electric mixer, cream butter and cheese until well blended. Add baking powder, salt, and cayenne pepper. Beat on medium speed until well blended. Add flour; beat on medium speed for 5 minutes until very creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl several times.

Transfer the dough to a piping bag fitted with a 1M large star tip.

Pipe 3-inch long cheese straws onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Leave at least 1/2-inch space between cheese straws. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until golden brown.

Remove from the oven and transfer the cheese straws to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.  Makes 12 dozen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment