I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Friday, April 19, 2024

Mulberry Muffins

½ cup milk
½ cup sour cream
½ cup canola oil
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups flour
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 cup mulberries, fresh or frozen
1 tablespoon flour
¼ cup Turbinado sugar or light brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 12-cup muffin tin or 6 cup large with baking spray and set aside. 

In a large measuring cup, whisk together milk, sour cream, canola oil, egg, and vanilla extract until smooth. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Slowly pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and begin to stir gently, being careful not to over mix. There can even be a streak or two of flour left over.

Gently toss mulberries with another tablespoon of flour in a separate bowl. Pour berries into muffin batter, stirring gently until just combined.

Using a large portion scoop, evenly divide the batter among prepared muffin tins. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins generously with Turbinado sugar.  Bake cake in preheated oven for 22 – 25 minutes, or until muffins are tall, golden brown, and the tops spring back when lightly touched.  Cool on wire rack for ten minutes before removing from the pan.  Makes 12 muffins.  

These muffins are easy and extremely delicious. They could be made with blueberries or mandarin oranges or even pieces of peaches, but with the mulberries from my trees, they are extraordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment