I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Lemon Curd



8 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed
Zest from 2 lemons (or 1 large Meyer lemon)
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten

Place butter in a large glass measuring cup or bowl.  Microwave for 10 seconds or until the butter is soft but not melted.  Whisk in the sugar, lemon rind and lemon juice.  Then blend in the whole egg and yolks.  Cover the bowl with parchment paper and microwave for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring well after each minute or until mixture thickens and coats a spoon.  Depending on your microwave, you may need another minute or two.  Stirring is very important to get a smooth even curd.

When mixture coats a spoon, pour into a clean glass jar and leave to cool.  Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.  Store in the refrigerator.

I found this recipe when I had lots of lemons on a Meyer Lemon Tree when I moved to my home on Harriet Drive.  It's so easy and delicious.  Use it to fill tart shells (graham cracker or phyllo from the store, or make your own from pie dough or cookie dough).  Add some whipped cream and maybe some fruit on top.  Or try it on whole grain toast instead of butter and jam.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment