I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Vidalia Onion Upside Down Bread

2 large Vidalia onions
4 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 cups fine ground yellow or white cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
8 oz. frozen broccoli, thawed (or fresh steamed broccoli)
1/2 cup cooked chopped bacon (optional)
4 eggs
16 oz. 2% cottage cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Slice onions into rings, leaving the rings intact if possible.  Melt butter in a 10 to 12 inch cast iron skillet.  Place onions slices close together in the butter.  Fill in any gaps with small bits of onion.  Chop finely and reserve any remaining onion.  Let the onions cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.  In the meantime mix the batter.   Add the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.  In a large bowl beat the eggs and mix in the cottage cheese.  Squeeze any water out of the broccoli and add to batter along with the reserved chopped onion.  Add the dry mixture and stir to combine.  Add optional bacon bits.  Pour the batter over the onions in the cast iron pan and bake 20 to 28 minutes or until done.   Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.  Run a knife around the edge of the skillet, and turn cornbread out by placing a plate on top and carefully turning over the skillet and plate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment