I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Monday, January 4, 2016

Bacon and Swiss Quiche

2 sheets phyllo dough, cut into three strips each
3 large eggs
1/4 cup Egg Beaters or other egg substitute
1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
½ cup low-fat hard Swiss cheese, grated
4 oz. cooked crisp turkey bacon, diced

Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray. Lay phyllo dough in pie plate, one piece at a time, coating each layer with cooking spray-dough should cover bottom and sides of dish. Fold in any overhanging corners. Whisk together eggs, egg substitute, milk, flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Sprinkle cheese and bacon over phyllo dough. Pour in egg mixture and place quiche on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees until firm, about 30 to 35 minutes. Let cook at least 5 minutes before cutting into 8 wedges. Yields 8 servings, 3 W. W. points per serving; or 6 servings, 4 W.W. points per serving.

This easy recipe can be easily altered by adding diced cooked vegetables or fresh herbs. Crab, or other seafood can be substituted for the bacon, all without changing the point value of the quiche.

No comments:

Post a Comment