I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Monday, January 4, 2016

Quesadillas

2 cups Mexican blend reduced fat shredded cheese
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
2 tsp. chopped bottled jalapeno peppers
4 (8 inch) or 2 (10 to 12 inch) fat free flour tortillas
½ cup chunky-style salsa
1/4 cup fat free or light sour cream (optional)

Reserve ½ cup cheese. Combine remaining cheese, beans, cilantro and peppers in a bowl; mix well. Spoon onto half of each tortilla. Fold tortilla over. Coat large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat until hot. Place 2 quesadillas in skillet. Cook 1 minute or until golden brown on bottom. Turn over; sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Cover, and reduce heat. Cook 2 minutes more or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining quesadillas and cheese. Serve with salsa and sour cream. Serves 4.

My new favorite is black bean and sweet potato quesadillas. Use cooked mashed sweet potatoes, season with salt, pepper, cumin, and some sauteed chopped onion. Spread over half of the tortilla and then add the bean mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment