I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Friday, January 22, 2016

Big Boy Strawberry Pie

1 qt. very ripe, firm strawberries
2 to 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1 to 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. butter
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
9 inch graham cracker crust or baked pie shell
Whipped cream

Wash and drain berries.  Remove hulls and crush half the berries.  Mix crushed berries with remaining ingredients except whole berries and vanilla.  Stir together and cook over medium heat until thickened.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Cool to room temperature.  Place remaining berries in pie shell.  Spoon thickened and cooled mixture over them.  Refrigerate.  Serve with whipped cream.

Big Boy was a restaurant chain.  It was famous for its strawberry pies.  This recipe was in Grandma Piotrowski's recipe box.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment